From 5 to 9 February 2024, female science ambassadors are invited to share their passion for science with local schoolchildren. Volunteer to take part!
For the eighth year running, CERN, the UNIGE Faculty of Science, EPFL and the Laboratoire d’Annecy de Physique des Particules (LAPP) are joining forces to celebrate the International Day of Women and Girls in Science. During the week of 5 to 9 February 2024, female scientists and engineers will be visiting local schools to inspire younger generations to explore the world of science.
As a female science ambassador, you will talk about your career path, share your projects and professional experiences and maybe even give a short demonstration. Our aim is to change the way schoolchildren view scientific, technical and technological professions, making them accessible to both girls and boys. And who knows, these presentations might even inspire some future careers!
Every year, the Women and Girls in Science and Technology week proves to be a great success. In 2023, over 240 presentations were given by 100 or so female science ambassadors to 5220 schoolchildren! This is why we’re always looking for more female scientists willing to give up a bit of their time to give talks in schools. So come and join the adventure by signing up: the deadline is 10 December 2023 (11.59 p.m.).
Conditions of participation:
- Registration is open to all women working in a profession connected with science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM), as well as computer science, communication or education.
- Priority will be given to presenters from CERN, UNIGE, EPFL and LAPP. If you are not from one of these institutions but would like to take part, please contact us.
- Volunteers will deliver one-hour presentations for a maximum of 35 pupils aged 7 to 15.
- The majority (95%) of the presentations will be given in French, but presentations in English are also possible.
- Volunteers are required to attend a briefing session.
Sign up and find out more: http://cern.ch/fds-interne
Deadline for signing up: 10 December 2023 (11.59 p.m.)
For CERN volunteers only: we are also looking for a female scientist who is available on Saturday, 24 February at 10.30 a.m. to talk (in French) to children aged 7 and over about her job and about particle physics in general. This event is being organised by the Bourg-en-Bresse multimedia library. Transport expenses will be covered. For more information and to volunteer, contact [email protected].
Thank you for volunteering!